7/365 Good Golly Miss Molly

This is my sweet, sweet puppy dog, Miss Molly. She's coming up on her 5th birthday this month! I can't believe she's already 5 years old. I still remember the day we went to go look at her...

My husband (well, we were still engaged at the time) and I had decided we wanted to get a dog. I wanted a smaller breed while my husband wanted a larger one. We had compromised and decided on getting a female beagle and she was to be named Zoey. We were looking for a local breeder when we came across a litter of Weimaraners located in Yakima. While a larger breed wasn't my first choice, Jason had a couple weimaraners several years ago and absolutely loved them and always wanted to get another one. So, I sent an email to the breeder to find out if they still had any pups available. They had one female left... the runt of the litter. We decided to hop in the Jeep after work and head to Yakima to "look" at the puppy. Yakima, for those of you who are not from Washington, is three hours away!!! Did I really think that we were going to drive all the way to Yakima to "look" at a puppy and NOT bring her home?

We arrived at the home of the breeder and they invited us in. The puppy (they were calling her Birdie or something along those lines) was sitting at the end of the hallway and I immediately fell in love with her! I actually had tears in my eyes... She was the most adorable puppy! After spending a little time with her, we told the breeder we'd like to take her home that day. Thinking back, I'm not sure if we decided Molly was a better name for her before or after we saw her for the first time, but it suits her perfectly!

She has been such an amazing part of our family! I can't imagine life without her. She travels with us almost everywhere we go. If we can't bring her along, she usually stays with my parents. We've been fortunate enough to only have her in the kennel for one weekend. She always has her nose to the ground, so walks can be interesting.

Not too long before we found out we were expecting Jackson, she started acting really strange around me. Instead of staying under the covers snuggled up to Jason's feet, she would get up with me in the morning and follow me into the bathroom, leaning on me while I was getting ready for work. She was constantly by my side and whining quite a bit. We had noticed she was acting different around me, but couldn't figure out why. Then one day Jason sent me a text while I was at work saying, "Maybe Molly knows you're pregnant." Could it be? My dog knew before I did?

Sure enough, we were going to have a baby! Through out my entire pregnancy, she was very close to me and VERY protective around other dogs and other people. We weren't sure how she was going to adjust to not being the "only child" once Jackson was born, but she has been a good girl. She's very gentle with Jackson when they are playing with her tug toys or her balls. She is always right at his heels when he is eating his snacks, knowing that he'll either drop something or hand it to her. Sometimes, he invades her personal space on her bed... Most of the time, she'll just lay there with Jackson climbing all over her. Other times, she'll simply get up and walk away.


Jackson picked out these rings for her for Christmas and she LOVES them! You can probably see all the love she's given them in just a couple weeks!